Crossing the finish line…

…by Nancy / from the United States / MSc Equine Science / 3rd Year

Hi Everyone,

My Thesis is complete and now it’s just a matter of waiting for the assessment grade. I can’t believe this part of my journey is finished and how quickly it went by. As promised I want to share some brief thoughts on the MSc Equine Science program and the measures I took to complete this course of study.

I really enjoyed every aspect of The University of Edinburgh. Everyone from the finance office to the library were always extremely helpful and patient…..this especially includes the IS Helpline! The Blackboard platform was easy to use and access. I was also amazed that there were never any extra fees or charges!

The course subject matter and the evidence based scientific approach are what initially attracted me to begin my studies at Edinburgh. I wasn’t disappointed. I found the courses to be very well organized and always covered an array of topics. The workload was demanding, but so worth the effort. While I almost talked myself out of starting these classes, the dream of pursuing a higher degree in Equine Science eventually took precedence.  I’m glad I stuck with it! What an experience!

If I could do it over, I would begin my assessments earlier and cultivate them as the course proceeded…I did that towards the final courses and that seemed to propel my scientific writing to a better level.  Everyone has their own individual methods for bringing out their best work, you just have to find what works for you. I also took many of the extra academic study courses to help in powerpoint production and scientific writing. As usual, what you put into the work determines what you get out of it.

At any rate, it all worked out and I hope to be graduating with my MSc! What a ride it’s been!

NM11.jpg

Now for some pics…Our 3 year old Thoroughbred, High Powered, broke a track record a couple of weeks ago at Belterra Race Track in Ohio. He seems to like the turf as this was his first try on the grass! The distance was 1 mile (1.6 km). This is his 2nd career win.

NM12.jpg