Graduating, a reflection …

… by Ellie / from United Kingdom / Business Management Graduate / studied at The University between 2015 – 2019

I am currently coming to the end of my final year of my undergraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh and what a four years it has been! I have made so many amazing memories and a great group of friends from all different backgrounds.

First year seems like a life time ago and was a bit of a roller coaster. As with most fresher’s I spent a lot of time going out, meeting new people and trying new hobbies. Unfortunately this fun came to an end in my second semester when I was diagnosed with glandular fever and pneumonia.  Although this stopped me enjoying myself it also made me realise how strong the friendships I had made were. This is because, despite only knowing me a few months they all looked out for me by making my dinners and providing great company when I was bed bound.

Having recovered from my illness and spent a summer abroad I started my second year confident it would be a great year. Something I am glad to say, that lived up to my expectations. My favourite memory from this year was when my cousin came to stay. His visit coincided with the university varsity rugby match and the two of us pub crawled from Princes Street to Murrayfield. Needless to say we were both very merry by the time we arrived and had an amazing time cheering on Edinburgh and eating chips and gravy.

Graduation Blog image 2

When I think about my third year, I realise how busy I was. Whilst completing my university work, I worked in a bar, was brand ambassador for RBS, and was heavily involved in the committees of four societies. This meant a lot of my time was accounted for but it also allowed me to meet new friends and gain valuable life experience. At the end of the year, I was lucky enough to be provided with the opportunity to attend a university trip to India. This was a truly incredible experience and showed me just how amazing and beautiful India is. The trip also taught me about the sustainability of the supply chain of fashion and is discussed more in Niamh’s student stories blog.

Final year has been simultaneously incredible and very very stressful. Writing a dissertation and completing my coursework has occupied the majority of my time this year but has not stopped me from having fun. I have found knowing I will soon be leaving has encouraged me to make the most of my last few months in Edinburgh and led to me making some great memories and exploring new places. My favourite memory from this year is swimming in Portobello in a bikini at midnight in December. This was a very spontaneous decision and came after I had hosted a dinner party. Needless to say the water was freezing but it was an experience I will never forget.

Graduation Blog

Throughout the four years, a consistently incredible part of being a student at the University of Edinburgh has been the city itself. It is so diverse and offers so much to do including climbing Arthurs Seat, going to the Beach, walking along the canal and visiting the museums and art galleries, just to name a few of my favourites. I have also been set up with skills that I know will benefit me in my future life. All in all, I am incredibly grateful for my time at university and the amazing people I have met along the way.