…Hollie / from England / studying Veterinary Medicine / 4th Year
I have to admit that for the first few years of my degree I was definitely a library studier. I had my routine that involved getting to the library at the crack of dawn and finding that one desk in the whole building that I had convinced myself was the most productive place on earth to work. Something about being surrounded by loads of students as equally stressed as me made studying easier.
Unfortunately this niche study zone had its drawbacks. If I didn’t get my favourite spot I felt unproductive for the whole day and I didn’t dare leave the chair for fear of losing my space. The nervous buzz of student went from being comforting to stressful and I had to make a change. I now find working in coffee shops much more productive and these are a few of my favourites:
- Starbucks. Both the Starbucks on the Quartermile and the one on Nicholson street are close enough to uni that I can see my friends for coffee breaks and still be far enough from the library to avoid the overcrowding of students. The WiFi is always quick enough for studying and there is an endless supply of fancy coffee and treats to keep motivated.
- Leaf and Bean. This tiny coffee shop is further out in Morningside but has a really relaxed atmosphere and some amazing coffee and home made sweet treats. The owners are also lovely and the café is dog friendly so if you need a cute puppy to make you smile while studying this is the place to be.
- Birchwood. A very popular brunch location in Marchmont, which has a lovely cosy atmosphere and the ever-necessary good WiFi. Its also not far from the main uni so if you need to dash in to print something off its very handy.
- The National Museum Café. A slightly less traditional study location is the café in the national museum. It is free to get in and absolutely beautiful inside. The endless exhibitions also provide a great distraction when you need a break.
- Black Medicine coffee shop. Renowned for its incredible coffee this little shop is closer to the city centre so is easily accessible by bus/walking. If you need to mainline caffeine during your study sessions this is the place to do it!