Edinburgh’s Royal Botanic Garden…

…by Rachael / from Scotland / studying English Literature / 4th year

botanic gardens 4

Earlier this year, I made it my mission to visit places in Edinburgh I had never been before – one of them being Edinburgh’s Royal Botanic Garden.

I had seen pictures online and thought it looked so beautiful but I didn’t really know what to expect from it, and I also wanted to wait for a good weather-day to go. Yet, finally – after three years of living here! – one came around and I spent it visiting the Gardens… It was so nice.

The sun was shining and so I strolled around at my own pace, basking in the sun and admiring the sheer beauty of nature.

The Garden was initially founded as a physic garden, way back in 1670, but now acts as a world-renowned centre for ‘plant science, horticulture and education’ and actually extends over a total of four Gardens: Edinburgh, Benmore, Dawyck and Logan.

If I’m being honest then I wouldn’t recommend going here if you’re easily bored, or if you need a lot of action to consider somewhere as ‘fun’ because, to get straight to the point, there isn’t a whole load to do here. I mean, there is a café and a gorgeous little shop, as well as nine (nine!) Glasshouses to wander around and plenty of absolutely beautiful areas, but there’s not loads to do exactly.

Instead, the Botanic Gardens provide you a tranquil haven just a mile out from the city centre; it’s a place to relax and find peace in. It is absolutely huge, too – bigger than I expected it to be.

Plus, it’s free! The only charge you may face is the one for entering the Glasshouses, but that is optional (and inexpensive anyway), so why not take the plunge and visit?

Just look at some of the pictures I got – all of them taken on an old iPhone and most of them unfiltered…

botanic gardens 10

botanic gardens 7

botanic gardens 12

Beautiful, huh?

Visit their website to get more information: http://www.rbge.org.uk/

Rachael xo