A student’s summer…

…by Rachael / from Scotland / studying English Literature / 3rd Year (UG)

Student Summer pic 2

I still can’t quite believe I get to say this (*pinches self*), but my summer is undoubtedly going to be an unbelievable, once-in-a-lifetime, amazing experience spent in America. I’m flying in June to spend ten whole weeks living, working and experiencing life over there. This is all part of my mission to make 2018 my best year yet; I’m determined to throw myself into new and ambitious situations to really get the most out of life. Thus, I have suddenly become brave enough to work on a children’s summer camp over in the States, teaching them everything from art and drama to sailing and horseback riding! It is designed for all girls, in attempt to enrich their ‘coming of age’ experience. I can’t wait to get involved in a different way of life, and it will be so special to meet these girls at such a precious time of their lives.

I reckon the clash in accents will be hilarious at first, as will other minor differences in lifestyles, but they will all act as learning curves for both me and the kids. Indeed, my excitement is met with nervousness, as I’m going alone and will be living with strangers for my entire summer, but I couldn’t think of anything worse than looking back and always thinking ‘what if…’.

If you take anything from this post, may it be the encouragement to enjoy every moment! Of course that doesn’t mean you need to join me and get the next flight to America, but do try something outside of your comfort zone. Perhaps something that you’ve always wanted to do but been too scared, or even do some research online and find something that looks cool. Either way, I can bet now that you’ll appreciate the experience, and if it’s good or bad, you are bound to learn something new.

Break the boundaries and push the limits to see where you can take yourself!