Meet Nick from California, USA…

Nick ThakarProfileLandscape…by Nick / from California / went to Monte Vista High School / now Social Policy (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I chose to study abroad for the chance to see other countries and for the significantly cheaper tuition even as an international student, and I chose Edinburgh because it’s the best university in Scotland which has a more flexible system than in England. (This has since become very useful as I was able to change subjects from Business to Social Policy which wouldn’t have been possible in England)

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I like the ability to take fairly specific classes right away like Rethinking the Financial Crisis instead of just introductory courses

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I like to socialize at the wide variety of pubs and bars which is a novel experience as a 19 year old American. I also am involved with both the University and other local cycling clubs which is a great way to get to know the city and surrounding areas (Edinburgh has great bike infrastructure and it means I’m never more than a few minutes away from wherever I need to be).

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
The weather isn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be here, and Edinburgh is a very easy city to transition into living on your own since it’s big enough to have everything you need but small enough to get around easily.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Big, small, welcoming

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
It’s still a long way off but I’d like to work for an international NGO that would allow me to keep to travelling.

If you would like to get in touch with Jamie or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk