Meet Lindsey from Maryland, USA…

Lindsey FlaglerProfileLandscape…by Lindsey / from Maryland / went to Severna Park High School / now studying International Relations with Quantitative Methods (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I really loved the international feel of the city and University, you can walk around the university and hear like 4 different languages while walking from a lecture to the library. Also University of Edinburgh is right in the city center and I knew I wanted to be in a city, but world renowned universities in american cities are so much more expensive. Another great thing about going to university in Scotland is from your first year you only have to take classes in your degree program plus a few extras that you choose yourself, so you don’t get stuck having to take biology if you are studying politics like you might at an American university. Arguably the best part though is the travel. From Edinburgh airport you can travel all over Europe for really cheap so you can just casually take a weekend and go to Belgium if you feel like it.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
My favorite thing is probably how international it is. Fifteen of my closest friends in my course are from thirteen different countries. It is really cool when you are learning about the UN and about half of the UN member states are represented in that lecture hall alone. Another thing that has been really interesting in my course is the variety of classes you get to take in first and second year; you learn everything from political philosophy to international law, and it really helps you figure out which things interest you the most in terms of the classes you choose for later years or even a future career.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
In first year I really enjoyed the Peer Assisted learning (PALS) scheme enough that I am going to be a leader for it next year. I have also had to opportunity here to learn about so many different perspectives because it is so diverse.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
It is definitely worth the stress of moving to a new country, coming to the university of Edinburgh is the best decision I have ever made! Also, don’t be afraid to do your research and tell your high school counselor what to do. When I was applying to universities in the UK, my school had never had anyone go, so my counselor didn’t really understand how it worked. Don’t be afraid to explain what you need from them, or how recommendation letters are different for the UK, and such. Also don’t forget to get excited! Going to college is a massive step and living in a different country is really really cool.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
International, Breathtaking, Exciting

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I hope to be able to stay in Scotland after graduation because I really do love it here. I would like to get a job that has something to do with international research or statistics, but to be honest I am not completely sure exactly what I want to do as a job, but I still have three more years to figure that out.

If you would like to get in touch with Lindsey or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk