Meet Lily from New York, USA

Lily SamettProfileLandscape…by Lily / from New York / went to Tappan Zee High School / now studying International Relations with Quantitative Methods (UG) / Class of 2019

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I loved the city when I visited and I always wanted to live someone apart from the US at some point in my life, and the easiest time to do that is when you’re in university.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
The Quantitative Methods portion of my degree has very small class sizes, and not many other universities offer it which makes my Resume look great. Also, it almost guarantees a summer internship going into your fourth year.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I traveled around Europe, I explored Scotland, I joined obscure sports like Korfball, I explored all of the old alleyways leading around the city.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
The first few weeks away from home are hard and you will experience some culture shock, but within a month it is so much easier and you’ll meet some amazing people and do amazing things.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Charming, Unique, Beautiful

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I’m hoping to go to grad school and am leaning towards studying somewhere in the UK.

If you would like to get in touch with Lily or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk