Meet Lily from Maine, USA…

Lily ChaseProfileLandscape…by Lily / from Maine / went to George Stevens Academy / now studying Linguistics (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
Scotland is such a beautiful country and the University has a world-class linguistics program. I also love to travel and see new places, and wanted university to be something completely new from what I was used to.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
The people I’ve met and friends I’ve made are all incredible. It’s so wonderful to be surrounded by people who are as excited about my program as I am, and to meet so many people in different programs as well. The international population is diverse and interesting, and I’ve got involved in clubs and societies I might never have in the United States just because of how the environment encourages you to think outside the box.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
Clubs and societies, class rep programs, and anything interesting that came my way.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
Coming from a small town or state it can be easy to feel stuck there, especially if all your friends plan to stay there as well. But international universities like Edinburgh welcome the diversity you can bring, and are an incredible experience to jump out of your comfort zone and become part of a place you never knew existed before.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Exciting, friendly, fun.

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I hope to go to graduate school for Minority Language Rehabilitation and Revitalisation.

If you would like to get in touch with Lily or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk