Meet Leda from Massachusetts, USA…

Leda OliaProfileLandscape…by Leda / from Massachusetts / went to Newton South High School / now studying MA Sociology / Class of 2018 (UG)

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
People are always surprised to hear that I had never visited Scotland prior to going to Edinburgh for University. So the reason I chose to study at Edinburgh isn’t because I had a love for the city- that developed later.

The reason I chose to study abroad in Edinburgh is because of the adventure of it all. I was looking for a big life change, and saw that Edinburgh would be the place for me to take a chance, and change my life.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I enjoy the diversity and challenge of my degree programme most of all. Sociology allows you to think critically and engage with complex texts, while also drawing upon your own life experiences. You can really use sociology as a lens to examine so many different subjects- whether that’s economics, sustainability, or gender studies.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
At Edinburgh, I am a member of the hare and hounds running club, the Female Voice Choir (I’ll be Vice President next year), the Reeling society, and the Student Newspaper.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
I would encourage students to just jump right in. You never know when you’re going to have this opportunity again. Truly living abroad is much different from taking a semester out (like many students do). You learn so much more from experiencing a new place and culture than you do from just sitting in any old classroom.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Dynamic, stunning, welcoming.

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I’m hoping to pursue a masters in social policy somewhere in the UK, and then go on to work either in something related to that, or as an educator.

If you would like to get in touch with Leda or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk