Meet Kate from Texas, USA…

Kate HannaProfileLandscape…by Kate / from Texas / went to Liberal Arts and Science Academy / now studying Law / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I fell in love with the university the minute I came here. I applied because I wanted a new experience, I have family roots in Scotland, and I wanted to start learning law immediately. At the moment, Scotland is truly a fascinating country politically and current events-wise, with Brexit and the potential IndyRef2.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I really like the tutorials, most of them have been engaging and I’ve made many friends in them.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I take advantage of all the events I can! My friends and I love going out when we can, and this semester especially, we’ve been doing a lot of protesting and advocacy.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
It’s very different here than it is in Texas, but this is a difference that is celebrated! My friends and I are constantly sharing stories about our various homes, we’re all from different countries and areas and I’ve never felt like being an American or a Texan is a disadvantage. Be proud, don’t be afraid!

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Exciting, friendly, comfortable.

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
At this point in time, I think I might return to the US and go to law school in Texas, or another state. I’m interested in international law, and I think my interesting (to say the least!) Scots Law degree will put me at an advantage.

If you would like to get in touch with Kate or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk