Meet Hayley from Connecticut, USA…

Hayley RicardoProfileLandscape…by Hayley / from Connecticut / went to Choate Rosemary Hall / now studying Linguistics & English Language (UG) / Class of 2017

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I wanted to study in the UK because I was 100% certain of what I wanted to study and wanted to get right to it, rather than taking the general education courses required at universities back home. I chose Edinburgh because the city is beautiful! I visited when I got accepted and immediately fell in love.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I loved the study abroad opportunities as well as the wide array of courses available in 3rd and 4th year – definitely a perk of going to a huge university.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I spent a year at university in Thessaloniki, Greece, with no homestay or strict program guidelines, which allowed me to really get in touch with my Greek heritage in a way I never could before – and there’s loads of study abroad opportunities, so this could apply to lots of people/countries. I also had a show on the university’s radio station for two semesters, which was very fun and a nice, stress-free introduction to broadcast media.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
It might seem scary at first, but Edinburgh is only about the same distance from home as LA (and now there’s a direct flight from Hartford!). Experiencing life here has been fun and personally enriching, and the university culture in most ways involves a lot less hand-holding than it does in America. If you’re an independent, curious person, it could be the best decision of your life.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Gorgeous, relaxed, worldly

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
My short term goal is to support myself as a location independent copywriter/English teacher while I think about what I’d like to study if I choose to do a master’s degree.

If you would like to get in touch with Hayley or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk