Meet Emily from Washington, USA…

Emily HallProfileLandscape…by Emily / from Washington / went to Interlake High School / now studying MA History (UG)  / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
Studying abroad in Edinburgh affords me a world class education much closer to the rest of the world. For history, I really wanted an international perspective and while I’ve studied here I’ve been able to take advantage of inexpensive European flights and been exposed to the perspectives of other students from around the world. Furthermore, I really appreciate the focus on specific subjects rather than a traditional American Liberal Arts background that forces you to study maths and english as basic requirements and ultimately doesn’t allow you to dedicate as much time to your chosen field.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
While the school of history, classics and archeology has great lecturers and some fascinating classes, so far I have appreciated the opportunity to meet my peers the most. Finding other students who are so passionate about my subject and sure about themselves has been a great way to meet people who have similar interests as me but who also come from such different backgrounds and are able to broaden my perspective.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
There is always something going on at Edinburgh! I’ve gone pony-trekking, I go to comedy nights, I’ve attended balls and meditated among fake ruins under a full moon. I am an editor for the Student, the campus newspaper. I’m also working on an internship out of my department looking at a map from the 1690s discovered in Aberdeenshire.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
As a Washingtonian, I am already adjusted to what many people consider to be one of the biggest drawbacks of Edinburgh life (the weather). Anyone with a rain-gear equipped wardrobe will more or less fit in here.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Ancient, prolix, exciting

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
More school!

If you would like to get in touch with Emily or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk