Meet Rebecca from Virginia, USA…

Rebecca SomerProfileLandscape…by Rebecca / from Virginia / went to Phillips Academy Andover / now studying Psychology and Business (UG) / Class of 2019

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I chose to study in Edinburgh because I wanted to be in a city with a diverse, international community, I wanted more independence than typical U.S. universities offer (such as living in a flat where I had to cook for myself during my first year), and I wanted a more focused curriculum.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
During these first two years, I have liked how we have had fairly broad introductions to both psychology and business studies because it’s helped me understand which areas of both fields I am more interested in, but I am most looking forward to third and fourth year where I get to take even more specific courses.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I have a weekly hip-hop show on Freshair.org.uk, Edinburgh’s student radio station. I teach sex ed lessons in local Edinburgh high schools with Sexpression. I also participate in fun activities with kids from local, disadvantaged areas with Children’s Holiday Venture. Last year, I took part in Edinburgh RAG’s (Raising and Giving) Race2Paris event, where I raised £500 for Alzheimer’s Society and then hitchhiked to Paris with a friend.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
If you’re looking for an independent learning environment and you want to make friends from all over the world, don’t hesitate to apply!

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Big, international, & fun

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
Good question. I’m still in my second year, so I’m not quite sure yet. I could envision myself in a marketing-related field (ideally something connected to music or the arts) and doing some counseling-type work later in life, but at the end of the day, I don’t think I can predict my future. I am interested in a bunch of different fields!

If you would like to get in touch with Rebecca or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk