Meet Melissa from Georgia, USA…

Melissa ParlourProfileLandscape…by Melissa / from Georgia / went to Riverwood International Charter School / now studying Economics (UG) / Class of 2017

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I came to Edinburgh as I wanted an international experience and to push myself to learn in a new environment. While the US offered opportunities, Edinburgh gave me a chance not only to attend one of the best universities in the world, but also to push myself and explore the UK and Europe.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
Economics at Edinburgh is really trying to expand their international experiences for the students so while attending university I have been apart of trips to Dubai, Buenos Aires, and Japan, all greatly funded by the university.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I have become quite involved in the economics school, running the magazine and involving myself in the go abroad economics programs. Furthermore I have taken advantage of the easy travel to Europe traveling with friends over breaks and immersing myself culturally in many cultures across Europe.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
I would say the cold is a bit of a shock, but the culture and environment more than makes up for it. While Edinburgh is far from home, it is just a flight back and at the end of the day the experiences you will have in Edinburgh will be more than worth the little bit of extra travel and the extra layer in spring.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Historical, artsy, walkable

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I am moving to London to work in Investment.

If you would like to get in touch with Melissa or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk