Meet Mackenzie from Alabama, USA…

Mackenzie WallaceProfileLandscape…by Mackenzie / from Alabama / went to UMS-Wright Preparatory School / now studying Economics With Finance (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I had lived in Edinburgh when I was younger and absolutely loved the city. When I was trying to decide which university I wanted to attend, I decided to take a look at the University of Edinburgh. I realized how many stellar academic opportunities the University of Edinburgh has to offer, as well as how diverse the school and city itself are. I knew I would get to meet people from all over the world from all types of cultures. Edinburgh is in such a prime location for travel as well. So I knew I would get to do a lot of amazing traveling during my time at university.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
The Economics with Finance degree is very engaging and interesting. I like that the course combines theory with real-world situations to explain and enforce certain topics. I feel as though I am being well prepared for the workforce after I graduate.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I joined the Econ Society and actively participated in Econ Pals. I also joined the Alternative Sector of the Investment and Trading Club. I attended the Fringe Festival outside of uni and visited many of the historic sites Edinburgh has to offer. One of my favorite things to do in Edinburgh is to climb Arthur’s Seat on a Sunday. The view from the top is magnificent. The meadows on a sunny day or Carlton Hill at sunset are also some of my other favorite pastimes.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
The University of Edinburgh will give you the opportunity to experience the world. It fosters a wonderful learning environment with many opportunities to contribute to world changing projects alongside people from all across the world.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Diverse Exciting Innovative

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I am not exactly sure yet, but I think I would like to work for a tech startup or a firm specializing in Mergers and Acquisitions. I may stay in Edinburgh or perhaps move to London.

If you would like to get in touch with Mackenzie or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk