Meet Julia from Virginia, USA…

Julia PetersProfileLandscape…by Julia / from Virginia / went to Langley High School / now studying Cognitive Science (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I chose to study abroad because of the international reputation of Edinburgh, along with its international student body. I wanted an experience unlike that of my peers, where I would meet many other people from multicultural and multilingual backgrounds. I mesh well here because of it. I also decided to attend because of my degree — it is not offered at many universities in the U.S., and the ones which did offer it I was not so interested in attending, as I felt they were very homogeneous, or I attended summer courses at and did not like.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I love how hard they push us, as well as how well qualified our professors are. We are taught by leaders in their fields, presenting to us their own work! We are also pushed *VERY* hard to succeed, but never discouraged, even if we have slip-ups. The support system for my degree is also amazing. My personal tutor is such a lovely human being and always checks in with her tutees at least once a semester to make sure their academic and personal lives are going well.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I’m a class rep. I love interacting with people and helping people out so I jumped on that opportunity. I also take advantage of the lovely gym facilities, nightlife, and much much more.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
If you’re worried about culture shock – don’t be! If you’re coming from the east coast back in the states I would say that pretty much everything is the same here as it is back home, aside from the fact everything here architecturally is much, much older. The worst thing is that (in my experience) you’re going to have to get used to is referring to chips as crisps and fries as chips. Edinburgh is a lovely and friendly city. I knew I was scared to death to leave the states to come to an unfamiliar place, but I love Edinburgh so much and I’m so happy I came here.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Lively, friendly, international

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I am either looking to become a software developer or go in to arts management. Arts management is like… so, you know how a celebrity has an agent? An opera company, for example, will have a whole group of agents working for them. Those agents are arts managers.

If you would like to get in touch with Julia or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk