Meet Jennifer from New Jersey, USA…

Jennifer Rose StrengerProfileLandscape…by Jennifer / from New Jersey / went to Mainland Regional High School / now studying English Language & Literature (UG) / Class of 2018

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
It’s one of the best universities in the world for linguistics (the degree I originally applied for/half of the joint degree I’m doing currently) and less expensive than going to an equivalent university in the US. Also, I liked the atmosphere of the city and the diversity of the student population (international students account for nearly one half).

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I’ve gotten to make friends and meet people from all over the world, while also working with lecturers who are leading researchers in their fields.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
While at the University of Edinburgh, I’ve taken advantage of a wide variety of opportunities. As a class representative, I was able to work alongside lecturers in my department to improve my degree program for students in later years. This helped me become more familiar with the department staff, many of whom are leading researchers in their fields. In my role as Talks Organizer for the Linguistics and English Language Society, I was able to take this a step further, contacting speakers and arranging talks with various linguists, including both David Crystal and David J Peterson.

Being at Edinburgh also allowed me to take advantage of EUSA’s peer support training. This not only allowed me to help other students to better understand the material, it also enabled me to help co-establish FamiLing, a peer support program for Linguistics and English Language students.

In addition, the location of Edinburgh itself allows for fairly easy and inexpensive travel to Europe, not to mention the variety of possibility encompassed by the city itself (most notably Edinburgh Festival).

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
It’s a great university and you won’t regret applying.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Friendly international community

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
Ideally, I would like to pursue an MSc in Cognitive and/or Neuroscience. I’d also quite like to work in publishing.

If you would like to get in touch with Jennifer or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk