Meet Janna from New York, USA…

Janna SmithProfileLandscape…by Janna / from New York / went to East Aurora High School / now studying Chinese (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
Im from a small town in Upstate New York, after visiting Edinburgh and touring the school, I thought the size of the city was a good fit for me – I also like that it is easy to get out of the city and into nature. I also studied at university in the US for 1 year prior to coming to Edinburgh and didn`t find that I was being challenged enough – Edinburgh seemed like a more academically driven uni.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
In first year the professors guided us through an effective way of critical thinking and how to take advantage of all our resources for writing papers and developing our language skills. This year we are given more liberties but still encouraged to develop our thoughts in an academic setting. I also really feed off of the passion of the professors.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
Mountaineering Club, Hillwalking Club, Spanish Society, Philosophy Society, Principles Go Abroad Fund

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
Although the thought of coming here was daunting, it was also really thrilling. I`m proud to say that I am still thrilled that I came here because of how much the city and university have to offer. There is no end to how much one can accomplish here, but it also all feels within reach – truly a great place, probably the best decision I`ve made in my short life!

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Welcoming, Charming, Beautiful!

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
Travel in China, pursue a PhD

If you would like to get in touch with Janna or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk