Meet Janelle from Ohio, USA…

Janelle BrannanProfileLandscape…by Janelle / from Ohio / went to Athens High School / now studying International Relations with Quantitative Methods (UG) / Class of 2019

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I really wanted an international experience to go along with my IR degree and therefore was looking at many universities in the UK. after visiting Edinburgh I fell in love with the city and the University.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I really enjoy how there’s large lectures and smaller tutorials, and especially for the quantitative methods part there’s a big emphasis on our learning and personalization and really taking our feedback into consideration.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I have had the opportunity to be a PIRPALS (Politics/IR peer assisted learning scheme) leader and it has been amazing to be able to work with other students to help them not only with their first-year courses but also their transition into uni.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
I would definitely say “go for it”! It’s so worth it to be here in Edinburgh, it is a totally different experience, for sure, than being in rural Ohio, but it has been a great experience for me and I would totally recommend people who are thinking of applying do it.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Picturesque, fascinating, compact.

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I would be interested in political data analysis work or potentially continuing on to do a masters depending on the subjects I find interesting in Honours.

If you would like to get in touch with Janelle or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk