Meet Ellie from Texas, USA…

Ellie RoppoloProfileLandscape…by Ellie / from Texas / went to St Agnes Academy / now studying English Literature & Language (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I wanted to have the experience of living abroad, and university is such a great time to do that. I also liked the Scottish system and they way the university is set up.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I love the tutorials in my English Lit classes. It’s basically a book club once a week!

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
There is so much to do in Edinburgh itself; I’ve gone to a lot museums and parks. And the Highlands are basically in your background, so I have explored those a bit. Also being from the states, everything in Europe seems so close to Edinburgh so traveling during breaks is a must.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
Definitely don’t be scared away by how far it is, but also don’t underestimate how far away it is. For some people, settling in is a process, but once you finally do, it’s absolutely worth it!

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Cultural, international, pretty

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I’m actually not sure yet! I have some ideas, but I’m using these next couple of years to get that sorted out.

If you would like to get in touch with Ellie or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk