Meet Charlotte from Connecticut, USA…

Charlotte DibbProfileLandscape…by Charlotte/ from Connecticut / went to Canterbury High School / now studying MA International Relations / Class of 2018 (UG)

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I chose to study abroad in Edinburgh because I wanted to have experience living abroad, and the fact that I did not have to take general education classes and pursue a degree I have always wanted without having to take English and maths classes, as I would have had to if I had gone to school in the United States. I also had grown up in a very small town in rural Connecticut, so wanted something that was the polar opposite, and had been to Edinburgh when I was 16, and thought it seemed like a wonderful place to study.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I enjoy the diversity of my classmates and their different points of view in relation to current global political events. I also like that I can tailor my classes to what my interests are, and skills are transferable to the career I want.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
societies, travel opportunities, PIR PALS, museums, and cafe-hopping

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
I would say, do it. Just do it. Connecticut is a bubble, there is so much to the world that is beyond it, and Edinburgh is an excellent place to start exploring it. You get to see much more of the world, and you get an excellent education that will put you over the top of other Americans when it comes to applying for jobs, and you gain a level of independence just going to school in the states can offer you.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Vibrant, historical, underrated

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I hope to either continue my education with a graduate degree, or join the United States Foreign Service.

If you would like to get in touch with Charlotte or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk