Meet Annie from Washington, USA…

Annie CaldwellProfileLandscape…by Annie / from Washington / went to King’s High School / now studying International Business with Spanish (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I didn’t want to follow the traditional path that all my high school friends took as I was yearning to travel and see the world. Edinburgh offered high quality education in a international environment as well as the degree that I hoped to study, so I decided to leave home and have a more unique experience abroad that would let me travel and meet people from all over the world.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I enjoyed being educated in an internationally-diverse setting as well as the opportunity to study abroad for a full year as a part of my degree.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
Third year spent abroad in Spain
Served as an RA (resident assistant)
Served as an Edinburgh Buddy to incoming exchange students
Co-founded Spoon University
Participated in the Create Society, African Dance Society
Completed a paid summer internship in a university department that provided valuable work experience and developed my skills
Worked in the catering department at the students’ association for one year

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
Studying in Edinburgh is an unforgettable experience that will provide you with a unique conversation starter for the rest of your life. However, making the decision to study in another country should depend on the type of experience that you desire. For me, I wanted the chance to travel, meet people from all over the world, and make a fresh start following high school. I have greatly enjoyed my time in Edinburgh, but it comes with a set of challenges that many of your peers won’t face, which ultimately has improved my independence and confidence in dealing with my own problems. However, it’s not for everyone. If you think it is the right path for you, I would encourage you to go for it and seek to make the most of each day of your experience in Edinburgh.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Diverse, challenging, prestigious

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I have a summer internship lined up which will last for 10 weeks. Afterwards, I hope to find a job in the UK that will allow me to stay in the country long-term.

If you would like to get in touch with Annie or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk