Meet Alexandra from Ontario, Canada…

Alexandra Szabo-DayProfileLandscape

…by Alexandra / from Ontario / went to De La Salle College / now Accelerated LLB (UG) / Class of 2018

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I chose to study abroad for several reasons, the first of which being the world recognition and high global ranking of Edinburgh Law School. Further, the 2 year LLB program offered me an opportunity to excel my studies and gain insight into Scot’s Law. I also fell in love with the city while travelling and knew that it would be an amazing experience to study and live in such a magical and historical environment.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
I enjoy the variety of subjects covered in our degree plus the amount international students enrolled.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I have tried to make the best of my time in the city with a mix of outdoors activities and sightseeing. These include Arthur’s Seat, Scot Monument, Prince’s Street Gardens, Dr. Neil’s Secret Garden, Portobello Beach, Dean’s Village and Stockbridge, the Christmas Market, Leith Water etc. Of course couple this with visits to see a football match at Easter Road, a couple rugby matches at Murrayfield Stadium, sunny days with friends in the meadows and sharing a pint at various campus and in town pubs. Further, I was able to take advantage of travel opportunities to the Scottish Borders and Highlands, London, Canary Islands, Ireland, and Iceland. At uni, I joined the Graduate Law Society as the first year representative and have recently been elected as President of the society for the 2017 – 2018 year. And I still have a year left!

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
I would say if you’re looking for an amazing experience abroad, look no further. The unmatched decorum of the university coupled with the surrounding city and country make for an unforgettable and incredible life experience.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Magical, Historic, Friendly

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I am hoping to go back to Toronto and write my various exams to qualify as a lawyer in Canada. One day I hope to work as a lawyer within a Sports and Entertainment corporation. Fingers crossed!

If you would like to get in touch with Alexandra or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk