Meet Alex from Massachusetts…

Alex HerseyProfileLandscape

…by Alex / from Massachusetts / went to Marblehead High School / now studying Linguistics & Social Anthropology (UG) / Class of 2020

Your Time at Edinburgh

Why did you choose to study abroad in Edinburgh?
I chose to study abroad because Edinburgh is highly ranked for my degree programme (making it the logical choice) and Edinburgh offers me the international experience about which I dreamed. Edinburgh provides me with connections with students from all over the world, and a beautiful city to pair with, but also has organizations tying me back to my roots in America just in case I feel lost along the way.

What do you enjoy the most about your degree programme?
The best part about my degree programme is the people. My lecturers are very approachable and kind, and talking to them about their subjects inspire me to get more involved. The students and my peers are all driven and friendly, and the people working within my school offer lots of peer support and activities that bond us together, ensuring we all succeed.

What opportunities did you take advantage of at Edinburgh?
I joined societies as soon as I arrived in Edinburgh, and am now the Vice President of the Language and Linguistics Society (LangSoc). I also had the opportunity to join Skype sessions with a native speaker of Shilluk, with whom my personal tutor is working to study the language. I took the chance to become class and tutorial representative for my courses as well.

Final Thoughts

What words of encouragement would you have for students from your home state or province thinking about applying to Edinburgh?
I would urge students from my home state to go outside of their comfort zones and explore every inch of the unfamiliar city…chances are, they are coming to Edinburgh in part for the international experience, so I advise them to truly immerse themselves in the Scottish culture and city.

How would you describe Edinburgh in three words?
Multi-cultural, vibrant, committed

What are you hoping to do after graduation?
I am hoping to further my education with a postgraduate degree, as well as run a theatre programme which I will grow into a theatre company that aids children and teenagers with their passions for theatre.

If you would like to get in touch with Alex or another one of our North American students to find out more about what it’s like studying in Edinburgh, get in touch with Tessa and Shannon via email, and they will connect you!
canada.enquiries@ed.ac.uk
usa.enquiries@ed.ac.uk