My university experience…

…by Baber / from the UK / studies Neuroscience / 4th Year (UG)

It’s the ‘Festival of Creative Learning Week’, formerly known as ‘Innovative Learning Week’, but mostly known as Skiing Week between us students. As a 4th year, as much as this week is a good opportunity for me to take a break and relax, unfortunately the laboratory and dissertation are calling me and I’ve got to keep on going. However, for me it’s exciting times ahead as I’m graduating in July at the marvellous McEwan Hall, so that is what’s pushing me towards the end of the finish line.

IntheLab
Me currently doing my Neuroscience Honours Dissertation project…

Studying at the University of Edinburgh for 4 years sure has been a phenomenal experience, but the scary part is that it has gone too quick. I have had so much fun studying at the University as a student. I’ve been able to learn A LOT about myself over the 4 years.

Dissertation
Achieving an Edinburgh Award for my work as a class representative…

Some of the things I’ve improved on:

• I can study more effectively, balance my time accordingly between society, sporting commitments and my studies – essentially I can multi-task.
  • I am more confident as a person, able to speak in front of other people and crowds of people.
  • I’ve been more active, met tons of new people, made friendships with people from across the globe, stayed with a friend in Malaysia and met up with friends in the Emirates.
  • Taken part in new sports and societies, such as the Middle Eastern Society, the Biomedical Society, and tried sports like Korfball (I had no idea this was a thing) and joining the weightlifting club.

The student life is a great life. I remember everyone saying to me: “Student life is the best time of your life” and personally looking back on 4 years it really has been the best time of my life!

Studying at Edinburgh and living in such a magnificent city, you could not go wrong!

2 thoughts on “My university experience…

1. Hi,

I’ll be starting at Edinburgh this September and I’m so excited (especially after reading your blog post). However, I can’t decide on which hall of residence to go to. I know that I want to be in a self catered halls, however I just don’t know which one to choose! Would really appreciate some advice!

Immy 🙂

Like

1. Hi Imogen,

Andrew here from Student Recruitment and Admissions at the University. Thanks for the positive response to Baber’s blog post.

In terms of accommodation it’s really about what is right for you. You’ve chosen self-catered which is a great start in narrowing it down.

Next you need to consider things like:
      – what sort of room you want, whether you want an en-suite bathroom and shower or are happy sharing
      – what part of the city you want to stay in
      – and, of course, the varying costs.

You can find loads more on this on our accommodation search tool including 360 degree tours of rooms in many of our blocks. Wherever you stay the Residence Life team will be organising events to help you meet people in your building and beyond and you’ll never be too far from the city centre.

If you have any questions about our accommodation you can contact: accom.allocations@ed.ac.uk.

Thanks,

Andrew

Like