Interview with an intern…

Image of our intern Clara

Here’s an interview with one of our graduate interns, Clara:

You’re originally from Glasgow, so what made you want to study French & English Literature here in Edinburgh?

The University of Edinburgh has the oldest English Literature department in the world and I thought the course content itself looked really interesting. It’s also a great city to be a student in and I wanted something a bit different from what I was used to.

You spent your 3rd year studying abroad in France, would you recommend going abroad during your degree?

Absolutely, my year abroad was the favourite part of my degree! As I studied French I spent two semesters studying at university in France and it was such a good opportunity to get some international experience. It really helped my language skills, but more than that it gave me a chance to develop independence and has really made me want to live abroad again in the future!

Are there other ways to get international experience?

Definitely! I visited India as part of a programme run by the British Council which was open to students from all over the UK. There are also lots of societies and voluntary organisations who run trips and opportunities to volunteer abroad, as well as international internships advertised through the university’s Career Service.

What did your internship involve?

I worked as a graduate intern in the undergraduate recruitment team here at the University of Edinburgh after graduating. I attended UCAS Higher Education Exhibitions and careers fairs, delivered presentations about university in schools and helped to organise open days and on-campus visits. It was a really good opportunity to see what goes on behind-the-scenes at university.

What are your plans now your internship is over?

In the short-term I’d like to continue to work in Higher Education or the Third Sector, but I’d love to do a Masters at some point in the future too! It was a bit scary finishing university last year and figuring out what I wanted to do. I’ve had a lot of support since, though, and I got great experience through my internship which has made me much more confident.

And finally, any advice for aspiring students?

4 years goes in really quickly, so don’t wait till the end of your degree to get involved with all the opportunities available to you!